SCRAMBLED 'SILKEN' TOFU
Not only does it look pretty, this cooked brekky is super easy, highly nourishing plus so quick you can even have it on a school day.
Preparation : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 5 - 10 minutes
Serves : 2
Equipment needed : frying pan, kettle
1 packet 'silken' tofu (this is a very soft style tofu)
4-8 field mushrooms
4 handfuls of spinach leaves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
good salt + pepper
dash coconut oil
STEPS TO MAKE
1. Heat a large (preferably non-stick) pan on medium heat.
2. Clean up the mushrooms, washing if needed and trimming the stalks.
Add a little coconut oil to the pan, then add the mushrooms flat side down.
3. Cut the tomatoes in half and add face down to one side of the pan.
4. Boil some water. Add spinach leaves to a bowl and pour over the boiling water to wilt.
5. Season the mushrooms and turn stalk side down.
6. Turn tomatoes to quickly cook the flesh side. Season the face side.
7. Plate up the tomatoes and mushrooms and add drained tofu to the pan, breaking it apart with a spatula. Add turmeric, garlic and seasoning and stir well.
8. Drain the spinach leaves, pressing it to remove as much water as possible, then add to one side of the pan, letting it take in some flavours of the pan. Squeeze some lemon juice over the spinach and season.
9. Plate up the spinach and tofu as well.
TIPS : The tofu must be drained - don't add the liquid. It will not necessarily cook or brown. For this recipe use the 'silken' (very soft) type of tofu.