Updated: Mar 10
Serves 2-4 (for a bigger batch multiply the ingredients)
Preparation : 5 minutes
Cook time : 30 – 45 minutes
1.5 kg pumpkin (skin on – I use JAP pumpkin) cut into 2 cm cubes
1 medium brown onion – finely diced
2 – 3 cloves of garlic – finely grated
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 bay leaves
½ tsp ginger powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp cumin powder
1 orange – slice the rind into wide strips and juice the orange
1 – 2 tbsp tamari (wheat free soy sauce)
salt + pepper to taste
optional garnish: 100g pepitas, 2 tsp maple syrup
what you need to do
1. Heat a medium to large pot on medium heat – add coconut oil. Then add onions and garlic and gently brown.
2. Add the dried spices and gently cook off
3. Add the pumpkin cubes and allow them to coat in the spices and gently brown a little
4. Add the orange rind and bay leaves and enough water to cover the pumpkin well
5. On a medium to high heat cook the pumpkin until soft. Once soft remove the bay leaves and orange rind and blend the soup (hand blender is best) until smooth. Here you can add a little extra water if needed to balance the consistency.
6. Add the tamari and orange juice and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. An optional garnish : add 100g pepitas (pumpkin seeds) to a hot dry pan and gently toast. Then add 2 tsp maple syrup and allow to caramelize. Pour out onto grease proof paper and let cool. Any extra can easily be stored in an airtight jar in the fridge.